Is drinking hot water harmful to plastic cups

- Oct 05, 2020-


                                       Is drinking hot water harmful to plastic cups?

Are plastic water cups poisonous? Plastic is a polymer chemical material. When a plastic cup is used to hold hot or boiled water, the polymer will easily precipitate and dissolve into the water, which is harmful to human health after drinking. Moreover, the internal microstructure of the plastic has many pores, and dirt is hidden in it. If it is not cleaned, it will breed bacteria. Therefore, the selection of plastic cups is very important for the selection of plastic materials, and food-grade plastics that meet national standards must be selected. Generally, plastic cups (bottles) have a triangle recycling logo with an arrow at the bottom. We can know what the cup is made of."1"-PET (polyethylene terephthalate) is more common in mineral water bottles and beverage bottles. This material is heat-resistant to 70°C and can be filled with room temperature water for a short time, but not acid-alkaline beverages or high-temperature liquids. , It should not be exposed to the sun, otherwise it will produce toxic substances harmful to the human body. "5"-PP (polypropylene) PP plastic water cup is made of polypropylene, which has good thermal stability and insulation, is safe and harmless to the human body. So it is not poisonous in normal use. "6"——The plastic cup made of PS (polystyrene) PS material is particularly brittle, low temperature resistance, and cannot be used in high temperature, strong acid, and strong alkali environments. "7"-AS (acrylonitrile-styrene resin), PC materials and other types are used for pots, cups, baby bottles, etc., with high safety, drop resistance, but not high temperature resistance. It is harmless to drink cold water, but hot water will produce substances that are not good for your health. So use it with caution. "58"-PC (polycarbonate) is commonly found in water bottles, space cups, and baby bottles. Department stores often use water cups made of this material as gifts. However, generally the cup made of this material is not resistant to high temperatures. If heated or in an acid or alkaline environment, it will easily release the toxic substance bisphenol A (BPA), so do not use it to hold hot water, and it is best to use warm water for cleaning.