Around here we are always trying to find a second (or third or fourth) life for things before we recycle them or turn them into papercrete. I haven’t achieved the Johnson family’ssuccess on not taking things into the house in the first place but a girl needs an aspiration! I came across this planter idea earlier this summer and just absolutely loved it! It’s reusing a plastic bottle and giving it a new life.
Step 1: Materials Needed
Xacto knife (I prefer it to scissors- but be careful!)
measuring device (a ruler would qualify)
plastic bottle (it’s a no starter without one)
muslin fabric (about a 2″ diameter circle)
1. Mark 1/2 way on the bottle (this does not have to be exact, just somewhere close to the middle).
2. Cut the bottle on your mark
3. Take the cap off
4. Take the muslin and cover the mouth of the bottle. Secure the fabric with the rubber band around the neck of the bottle.
5. Take the top half of the bottle and fill it with dirt about half way up.
6. Take a small plant and put it on top of the dirt. Take more dirt and fill in around the edges. Make sure you have about 1″ of space above the dirt to the top of the container.
7. Put the top 1/2 of the bottle into the bottom 1/2.